Tour Recap Part II: Boston

Posted by on Oct 4, 2011

I recently went on a solo tour Sept 8 – 19th, performing in NYC, Boston, Cleveland and Chicago, and I can’t wait to get out there and do it again.

Part 2 – Boston

Sept 12th

And so began the Megabus leg of the tour. For $10 total, Grace and I were able to take the Megabus ROUND TRIP from NYC to Boston.  Our departure was delayed about an hour, but for solo acoustic touring, the price is hard to beat.  Megabus runs along the Eastern seaboard all the way to Milwaukee, so it’s worth checking out if you’re a singer-songwriter planning to tour on a budget. The hard part is packing- you’re allowed one carry-on and one personal item, so you have to pack light.  Since there were two of us, we had a bigger bag for clothes and merchandise, but in retrospect it would have been better to ship merchandise to venues rather than drag it all over the cities, up and down subway stairs and buses.  The burden provided plenty of incentive to move some units though, that’s for damn sure.

While looking for a place to eat, we came across the coolest music store ever – Mr. Music.  This place has great deals on guitars, all kinds of miscellaneous percussion, a huge case of new and used effects pedals, and a nice variety of amps including boutique models that I haven’t seen very often.

That evening, we went to an open mic night at The Lizard Lounge to promote my show at Tommy Doyle’s the following night.  They have a beautiful sound system and the open mic host Tom Bianchi is really funny and a great host.  There I ran into a Kerrville Folk Festival regular Raybo!

Sept 13th – The Action Sequence!

I spent the better part of the day passing out flyers for my show around Harvard Square.  There were solo acoustic musicians busking on every corner, which was great to see, and it also made me laugh because I was out promoting a solo acoustic show.  Because Harvard Square is the area around Harvard’s campus and very close to MIT, there were plenty of college kids with loose plans who are used to getting flyers, so the show was fairly easy to promote.  I hit the stage at Tommy Doyle’s, a loud Irish Pub, at 10:15, and the place was packed.  Runaway Sun songs made up most of the material I played at this show to compete with the louder environment, and it went over well.  As an homage to the establishment, I closed my set with An Irish Blessing.  We were finished selling CD’s at 11:15, and then it was time to haul buns across town to catch the 11:59 bus back to NYC.  Did we make it?  WATCH!



Submit a Comment